After four months of working with my holistic guru, I have grown in my ideas of nutrition and eating choices. I have learned to embrace non-dairy milks, kale, and diverse grains. My awareness of eating behaviors and consumption has increased and helped me to change both physically and mentally. It has been a great experience.
This week, I’m going to need major accountability for my action steps. The second one in particular….
- incorporate more naturally sweet foods into your daily diet (this is to try to curb cravings for bad sweet treats)
- refocus on water intake, work up to half your body weight in ounces (that is 80 oz….yes, you do the math to figure out my body weight, no I’m not proud but not ashamed either.)
I love drinking water but I love beverages in general. Coffee, coke, juice, etc. I am rarely without some kind of beverage nearby. As I type there is a large nalgene of water and a cup of joe to my right. (Funny enough, it is the same nalgene as from my desk last spring when I admitted my “drinking problem” to Facebook.) I need to focus more on the water element and perhaps let go of some of the other liquid choices. Holistic Guru suggested adding lemon and maple syrup to the water (not exactly like the Master Cleanse but similar) and I tried that yesterday. Delicious, natural lemonade enhanced H2O! Awesome.
As for the first action step, this means fruit galore! Curb that desire for crappy sweets with yummy, natural treats from the earth. I started this morning with a whole grain, raw, sweet breakfast inspired by Chef Katelyn. Her “cookie dough in a bowl” breakfast is interesting and fairly tasty. DBF loved his so much his bowl was clean. I adapted the recipe just slightly to accommodate the ingredients we had in our pantry.
Sarah’s Adaptation of Chef Katelyn’s Cookie Dough Bowl Breakfast
- 1/3 c Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran cereal
- 1 scoop Roots Market spirulina vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp Hemp Pro dark chocolate protein powder
- splashes of non-dairy milk (I used coconut for me, almond for DBF)
- Mix all together as Katelyn suggests and cover overnight in fridge
- In AM, I added:
- 3/4 cup of defrosted froz strawberries w/ juice
- DBF added a big scoop of Jif Natural PB
Result?? Yummy breakfast that was naturally sweet and filling. Goal #1 started off right!